Serve Him

Serve Him
Joshua 1:9 "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.

Welcome to Living Abundantly



My name is Tina Foster. I hope you will enjoy reading my blog and seeing some of the crafts I have up for sale. Please feel free to leave a comment below to get in touch with me.


Go Live Life Abundantly!!

contact me at tinafoster3769@gmail.com

Monday, September 1, 2014

Awesome teens walk with God


I am so blessed to be a small group leader to a great group of middle school teens. If you had told me 10 years ago that I would be mentoring teens, I would have thought you were off your rocker. God in his greatness and sense of humor has lead me to be a middle school leader to girls.

I've worked with kids for over 16 year, but most were under the age of 11. God started me out in the nursery taking care of infants even before he blessed me with my own two girls. About four years ago, I heard the calling to go into the middle school room at our church.  At the time, I lead a group of fourth and fifth grade girls. I was leading the fifth graders up into the middle school room for their introduction week and there is when I heard the Holy Spirit tug at my heart.

Since I came to Christ at 12 years old, I felt a strong calling to go into the middle school room to mentor young girls. I did not have anyone to mentor me growing up. After I turned my life over to Christ, we moved away from my church. Since my father was not a Christian, we did not go to church. I had no one to help me walk this life out with God. No one to help guide me in my relationship or to keep me accountable. It made life really hard for me, but I always knew God was there for me. So when I heard the Holy Spirit call me into the middle school room, I was nervous and excited. I wanted to do this right.

I didn't go into the middle school right away. I think God was preparing me though. Some circumstances kept me from going into the middle school room until about 2012. I moved up with my then sixth graders. Some of these girls I've had since kindergarten. From the minute I stepped in with them I felt scared, but at home.

I know what a huge pivotal point this time is in their lives. This is a time where they are trying to figure out who they are, where they fit in, who they want to be, and who they want to hang around
with. The biggest thing that drew me to the middle school was that they were doing small group meetings outside of church. These were like bible study meetings. I jumped at the chance to do one at my house.

My first year of leading a small group we had about four girls, which I was happy with considering any more could have be overwhelming not to mention scary. It was a great year. They were new to the small group idea as was I. I had a great co-leader who had been doing this for quite some time and taught me a lot.

Now I am ready to start my third year of small groups. I'm so excited. The group of sixth graders I originally ushered into middle school are now eighth graders. Over these last two years, I've seen them grow spiritually, emotionally and physcially. God draws them to himself more and more each day. I am so blessed to be a small part in their journey with God.

I just had ice cream with three of the girls from my small group. Listening to them talk about school
and how they are keeping themselves in the midst of where God wants them is a healing balm for my soul. Seeing how they really care about their relationship with Christ more than their relationship with kids at school is so refreshing. They don't care if they are popular. They don't care if they stand out. They don't care if they are labeled "the goody good girl." They find comfort and rest in who God made them to be. As their small group leader, as a mom, as a Christian, as their friend, I am so proud of them all.

This past year I had fifteen girls coming to small group. I don't tell you this to pump myself up at all. I tell you this because I am in awe that God would trust me with fifteen girls to help mentor and walk out this journey of life. As I start a new season of small groups, I'm again in awe that God would trust me with these girl's lives. They have become "my girls." They call me Mama "T" now affectionately. They text me when they have issues going on that their parents just can't help with. They confide in me and ask me to pray for them. I consider it a great privilege when they do. I've never stopped
praying for them.

I don't know how long this season of being a middle school leader will last, but I am soaking it all in while I can. God in his goodness and mercy and, yes, even his humor has put me with some great girls. And you know what? I'm loving every minute of it! Thank you Jesus!


In Christ's love,
Tina Foster












No comments:

Post a Comment